Chapter 2. CSS

Share your questions, comments, and ideas about the CSS chapter of the Web Almanac…

1 Like

It could be great to gather some data on unused CSS (which drags performance and sustainability down).

1 Like

Small correction

(e.q., mm , in , cm ),

should be a g not a q :smiley:
And yes, I wasn’t aware the q-unit existed.
My guess for the usage percentage would be wordpress.

2 Likes

@zcorpan noted that something weird was going on with the Q unit:

I filed this issue to investigate and I think there was a bug in the query that falsely counted base64 gibberish. I’ve rerun the query with a fix and we’ll be updating the chapter accordingly.

@bodo the typo you found is also in this section so we’ll get that fixed as well. Thank you!

1 Like

Guys, thank you for the great overview! I am just beginning my story with CSS and thanks to your article already have an idea what to learn.

2 Likes

The HTML survey acknowledged the sample bias problem of tags in the survey because of the uniqueness of homepages and their typical tags. In the CSS case I wonder given the frameworks being a 25%+ how much of the data is a function of the weight of the way the competency of the framework authors is being recounted versus what vanilla CSS writers tend to do. I think you would see a very different answer if you subsetted to just vanilla CSS and compared. TL;DR - web platform knowledge is very unevenly distributed and the repeat count of authored libraries and their tactics likely significantly skews the data suggesting more awareness than there likely is.

On a more !important note :rofl: how could use miss sampling the usage of everyone’s favorite/hated kludge? Seriously though !important might be quite interesting esp compared to the library thing mentioned above (with and without the frameworks)

Look forward to more data analysis coming soon.

I’d love to see some information about the font-display property in terms of adoption. Specifically around what values are being used. My guess would be swap would be the most popular (if used), since it seems to be the most talked about. I’m interested in seeing when and where optional is used, as for low-speed / unstable connections I can see a real advantage in the browser being able to abort the font request completely.

Your wish is our command - you’re just looking in the wrong chapter :grinning:: https://almanac.httparchive.org/en/2019/fonts#fighting-against-invisible-text

1 Like

Doh! Many thanks @tunetheweb :slight_smile: