I am building a talk on Images, and I (of course) begin with the HTTPArchive pie chart breaking down the number of image requests on mobile:

But, I remembered this thread with @rviscomi and @HenriHelvetica on Twitter:

I wondered to myself "How many of these requests are really images vs. tracking beacons? In this study, i assume that any image under 35 bytes is a tracking beacon. I know that will cut out some actual images, and may not actually remove all the tracking beacons. But it is a decent first approximation :slight_smile: If there are suggestions on how to improve this, please comment below.

Let’s dive in:

SUM(gif) GifCnt,
  SUM(jpg) jpgCnt,
  SUM(png) PngCnt,
  SUM(svg) SvgCnt,
  SUM(webp) WebpCnt,
  SUM(respSize) imgbytes,
  SUM(IF(gif>0,respSize,0)) GifBytes,
  SUM(IF(jpg>0,respSize,0)) JpgBytes,
  SUM(IF(png>0,respSize,0)) PngBytes,
  SUM(IF(svg>0,respSize,0)) SvgBytes,
  SUM(IF(webp>0,respSize,0)) WebpBytes,
IF(format CONTAINS 'gif', 1,0) gif,
IF(format CONTAINS 'jp', 1,0) jpg,
IF(format CONTAINS 'png', 1,0) png,
IF(format CONTAINS 'svg', 1,0) svg,
IF(format CONTAINS 'webp', 1,0) webp,
type CONTAINS 'image'
AND respSize > 35)

if you run this without the last line ( AND respSize > 35) you get all of the images, and the byteCount of all the images… Running with this, you get the “big images.” Putting the data into a spreadsheet, you can calculate the tracker count for each format.

21% of GIFs are under 35 bytes and are possibly trackers.

We can now rebuild the HTTPArchive chart:

We see the percentage of GIF images drops by 4%, and PNGs and JPGs both gain 2% of the total number of requests. All in all, the HTTPArchive chart at the top is still very close to the numbers I calculated, but perhaps overestimates GIFs slightly.