Tracking page weight over time – UPDATE?

Hi there!

I found this very interesting article: Tracking Page Weight Over Time

Since it was written in 2017, it is not quite actual. I am currently doing research for my Master Thesis on Sustainable Web Design, and would need the same stats, but from 2017 to 2020. I tried following the introduction on doing queries on my own, unfortunately cannot manage to get the stats :unamused:. Can anybody help me, please??

Thanks!
Petra

1 Like

Hi @pemoze. Thanks - I’m glad you found it interesting! I’ll go ahead and update the queries in the article tonight so that you can reference recent page weight stats in your research.

BTW - The table structure changed since I wrote those, which may have made it difficult for you to rerun those queries. I’ll share the updated query as well.

Hi @paulcalvano paulcalvano, did you find the time to have a look at that? Would be so helpful for me :). THANKS!

1 Like

Apologies for the delay in getting to this. I just updated the original post with some data that you can reference. Let us know if there is anything else you need help analyzing. And good luck on your master thesis!

1 Like

Many thanks @paulcalvano ! :ok_hand:
One thing would be interesting: Is it still possible to query also the β€œaverage” page weight? I think that was really noticeable in the original post how the 5% largest pages produced the rise of the average size.

1 Like

Hi @pemoze . Yes, you can add the following clause to your query to calculate the average page weight: AVG(bytesTotal/1024) as Average

However I would caution against putting much emphasis on averages since they can be quite misleading. In the original post, I used averages for historical context (since much of the prior analysis was focused on averages when the dataset was much smaller).

1 Like

Thanks, @paulcalvano! I tried but am doing something wrong and thus cannot manage to get the graph. May I ask you to do this for me? That would be so helpful. And it is for sure my las request :sweat_smile:

I know that averages are misleading, that ist why I want to show how only the few largest sites are causing the average curve. That helps me explaining in my thesis why I am writing about median numbers instead.