How does web font usage vary by country?

I think we can agree that websites should have the control to stylize text to fit their brand/identity and ensure that it looks consistent across devices. It’s on them to ensure that they do it responsibly and efficiently, just like all other aspects of web dev (image optimization, JS usage, mobile friendliness, etc).

Can you elaborate on why you think this is a case for system fonts? For example, Roboto looks great in Latin languages and doesn’t support CJK. That’s by design and why Noto exists. Web devs can serve one or the other using localization techniques.

Also, anecdotally, I’ve heard that CJK system fonts can have poor legibility and web fonts are often the preferred way to counter that. I’ll try to loop in some people with more familiarity on the subject for their perspectives.

I actually think things like variable fonts and color fonts will increase the desire for web fonts, giving developers and designers more control over how their text appears.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your perspective. It’s always great to hear other POV and have a healthy discussion.