Planning the Web Almanac 2019

This year we’re setting a new goal to create an “annual report” of the state of the web, tentatively titled the “Web Almanac”. The purpose of the Almanac is to take a snapshot of how the web is built and how it has changed over the year. The end result will be a web app that takes the reader through the different building blocks of the modern web and presents our findings about how they are performing.

We’re looking for contributors to help with things like:

• data analysis
  • data visualization
  • web/graphic design
  • web development
  • writing

To kick things off we will need to start planning the topics we will cover and which metrics we will use to measure their performance. The current reports on the website are a good place to start but are not exhaustive. Additionally, we may want to explore distinctions between desktop and mobile web, segmentation by lenses (eg CMS/WordPress), and/or RUM data from the Chrome UX Report.

Let me know in this thread if you’re interested in helping and/or if you have any ideas for research topics.

This is an awesome idea and I’ll contribute where I can. Possibly some writing and/or gather of interesting pieces published on the web that may add to the EOY story telling.

Something like this, so we can track what has changed from Feb 1st onwards - among many other things.

Really looking fwd to this.

Great initiative Rick!

H!

Awesome idea.

I can help with web development, writing and tracking the features, changes over time.

Hi Rick,

This is a fantastic idea! I would absolutely love to help out with the writing side of things especially. Let me know how I can help.

I agree about looking at the current HTTP archive reports as well as some mobile/desktop comparisons. Maybe you could do some analysis on different devices and their CPUs too, and do some load time benchmarking and comparisons? I’m always interested to see how websites are performing in the real world for users on their actual devices.

I’ll be happy to provide some more ideas as well when more of the topic planning is under way.

Hello Rick !

Great idea. I could help on data analysis and writing.

Some ideas :

• Distinctions between different locations in the world (bandwith, latency, performance and devices)
  • If we could track performance of cms vOv (is WP getting faster on latests versions ?..)
  • Would be interesting to have some perf insights according to business field (how e-commerce websites are performing, medias ? etc)
  • Try to zoom on the long tail (the slowest, the poorest performance %, excluded users…Etc)

Looking forward !
Aymen